Tuesday, May 6, 2014

On my way...

I simply love to travel.

I LOVE to go a-journeying, packing my bag, releasing my anticipation for the unknown and embracing the road...even when the road is a plane and I'm headed to North Dakota.

I know, a lot of people might not have bubbling enthusiasm for a trip to North Dakota but not me.  I love this state.  It's a crazy mixture of urban sophistication (in the North Dakota sense) on the Minnesota side and wild enticement of the Badlands on the Montana side.  Above, hello Canada and below, well, it's kind of hard to determine sometimes when North Dakota ends and South Dakota begins.

We used to live in this state a few years ago and had the opportunity to explore all its corners and roads less traveled.  We met people in the big cities (remember, this is North Dakota) and in the small local cafes.  We've seen the wild horses and bison in Theodore Roosevelt National Park (a jewel if you haven't visited this one yet) and moose on a drive to Fargo.  It's a place where the solace of open spaces rule and it's a really good idea to invest in a down coat and serious Sorel boots.  And, remember to always keep your winter survival pack in the car.

This is technically a business trip this time.  Business for my husband, pleasure for me.  My husband is a board member for a local company and we've been attending these quarterly board meetings since the mid-90s.  We used to fly into Bismarck and drive 90 minutes west.  Now we can fly directly into Dickinson.
Somewhere between Bismarck and Dickinson, North Dakota

Although I appreciate the efficiency of arriving in one's destination, I confess that I miss that beautiful drive where seeing more than five other cars is practically an observation to mention.  It is remarkable how attractive "empty" is to me.  Those rolling plains, big skies and unending vistas can take some visitors by surprise, filling them with apprehension of feeling so small and insignificant.  But, if one can stop hyperventilating and BREATHE, taking in all the energy of a space so undefined, it is a remarkable connection that can be made.

I just looked at my watch--gotta go!

The Badlands
      
A wild horse in Theodore Roosevelt National Park


Deer in the Badlands
Bison run freely in Theodore Roosevelt National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hummingbirds -- The Flying Jewels of the Sky!

A female hummingbird waits patiently for the feeder. Since childhood I  have been captivated and fascinated with "the flying jewels...