Friday, June 29, 2018

Road Trip - Summer Adventure With My Brother! Olympia, WA to Laramie, WY - Part I

Waving the morning of our departure.
Olympia, WA to Laramie, WY - Part I

It's been a long time since my brother and I hit the road together...

but there was an unexpected confluence of circumstances and opportunities and my brother, Luke, and I found ourselves making plans to drive from Olympia, WA to Laramie, WY and after a couple of days to continue from Laramie to Austin, TX. 

Waiting in Austin was his wife, younger daughter and her husband, his parents--and a beautiful granddaughter recently born.

I'd been hankering for a good road trip and this was a perfect opportunity to travel roads new to me, have some great "dog time" (two BIG dogs -- Bogie and Kaleesi,) and enjoy some wonderful brother-sister time, something we really hadn't done since leaving home to begin our own lives.

I flew into Seattle June 1 and we embarked upon our 2,274-mile odyssey the next morning.  At this point I should mention that my brother's vehicle, a GM 1995 Econovan, had just received a partial tune-up and sported brand new tires.  

Of course we kept a trip diary.  Here are highlights:

Saturday, June 2

(Me writing.)  First stop at a tiny coffee shack for latte' for Luke and hot tea for me--it was delicious!   10 a.m. - Got gas and heading for the open road!
11:20 a.m. - The traffic is HORRIBLE!!  Stop and go all the way but finally reached I-90!  


As Luke contends with the bumper-to-bumper traffic near Tacoma I was able to savor fantastic views of Mt. Rainier, the highest mountain in the Cascade Range of the Pacific Northwest, about 59 miles south/southwest of Seattle. It is
14,411 feet in elevation.

Amazing skies captivate me as we head into the
National King Forest.
12:15 p.m. - our first break at Snoqualamie, a little mountain town that reminds me of similar little mountain towns in Colorado.  I'll take my turn at driving.

2:15 p.m. - Stop at Wanapum Columbia River Scenic Overlook.  I'm VERY ready for a break!


Me at the Wanapum Columbia River Scenic Overlook, grateful
my first driving shift over.







My first driving shift totally scary! There is so much flux between the steering wheel and the response of the vehicle.  

Huge wicked winds rocked us back and forth and so hard to control.

Realize the aerodynamics of the caravan are similar to a solid brick wall.








Luke walking Kaleesi (left) and Bogie (right) at the Scenic Overlook. 
They are true road warriors!!



Wild Horse Monument at the Columbia Scenic River Overlook sits high above the parking lot. Sixteen
metal horses gallop along the bluff, created by Spokane artist David Govedare.


6:30 p.m. - (Luke writing.) Entered Idaho.  Toby now driving-having a better time of it.  She's listening to her jazz.  In the mountains and just reached 3,096'.  You'd think it was 6,000'!


Me and the pups in historic Wallace, ID.
Wallace, self-proclaimed "Center of the Universe."  Exit 61.

7:51 p.m.  Checked into the beautiful Wallace Inn and on way to eat at the Smoke House, in the historic downtown.  Turns out the dogs were welcome to join us.  Perfect place to end our first travel day.







Sunday, June 3

As we departed Wallace, which I loved, and began our drive through the Coeur D'Alene National Forest, we passed Elmer's Fountain, a 3-tiered water fountain in the middle of "no where," right off of I-90!  Wonderful!!!


Oh, the tall Lodge Pole Pine and the fragrance!!!!
This rest stop with its carpet of pine needles a
good decision.
10:40 a.m. - Montana!

1:57 p.m. - A Bald Eagle just flew over us as we drive.  5 miles to Deer Lodge.
Fantastic views of snowy peak and soft, green covering of foothills.  

Got gas.  Toby got a wrap, me soup.  Walked dogs.  Vehicle ran rough at the start.  We stopped and now fine.  One of the warning lights went off.  Don't know which one or why.

5 white tail deer in the heat of the day.

Saw first 2 antelope.  Now I know I'm in the Mountain West.

Saw a rattlesnake on the side of the road.  Sunning itself?

Must be birthing day for antelope.  Have seen numerous newborns.


Montana - so many hues of blues and greens!
Wyoming - the beautiful Bighorn Mountains!























  Monday, June 4

After leaving Billings we passed a Mommy duck with about 12-15 ducklings crossing busy I-90 east!!  Two lanes of a busy highway safely!  A miracle!

Now we passed a big turtle on the right side of the road walking slowly in the opposite direction.  

11:42 a.m. Wyoming!


Luke on Main Street in Buffalo, WY.
As we neared Buffalo, a community near and dear to our hearts, we talked about trips to see our grandparents, swimming in the city park pool with the water as cold as snow, camping with extended family in the Big Horn Mountains, sitting at the soda fountain in the local drug store, lunch at the Busy Bee and going with our Granddad to the Johnson County Museum.

1:09 - arrive in Buffalo!


Snow fences dot the landscape as we depart the Medicine Bow Cut-off and head toward Laramie.

 As we drive through the Medicine Bow Cut-off we see hundreds of antelope and a field of purple wild iris.  There are a few wind turbines.  

Entering Albany County we spot a Golden Eagle high on top of a telephone pole and then a pair of hawks sitting next to one another on top of another telephone pole.


Bogie, hair flying with the windows open, is a sweetheart!  Actually, so
is Kaleesi.  Wonder if my brother would realize they were missing if they
somehow went home with me.
Rock outcrops and sagebrush.  

Another pair of hawks with a nest--and then a pair of Rough Leg Hawks on the fence post tops.

An antelope raced us and cut right in front of us.  Fortunately, we were watching and slowed.  We both missed a hit.  

Of course, in a vehicle that has a top speed of somewhere around 60 m.p.h., slowing is considerably easier to do.

39 miles to Laramie. 

Luke has already set up an appointment for the Caravan to get repairs.  He'll enjoy some time with our folks while I head for home.  He'll pick me up Thursday and we'll begin our second phase from Laramie to Austin.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hummingbirds -- The Flying Jewels of the Sky!

A female hummingbird waits patiently for the feeder. Since childhood I  have been captivated and fascinated with "the flying jewels...