Friday, June 20, 2014

A Stick Artist's View of the Spring Flooding of the Cache la Poudre River - Part 1

I am an artist and walk nearly everyday by the Cache La Poudre River, listening to it, observing it, wading in it and dreaming along its banks, all seasons, all weather. 



It is a precious pilgrimage for me, reminding me that water beginning high, high in the Front Range in the northern part of the Rocky Mountain National Park travels 126 miles to reach me, dropping over 6,000 feet in elevation through the mountains until it merges with the south Platte River not far from where I live.  

After last September's flooding, I was attracted to the flotsam left by water now departed--that wonderful well-worn, well-traveled wood that somehow survived a remarkable and powerful ride in a river gone wild.  

I began to explore the muddy riverbanks as the water receded and discovered intricate stick jams (what I call them,) so complex and beautiful, sticks precisely fitting with sticks like a zillion-piece puzzle to create an incredible pattern with soft hues, abstract shapes and unexpected textures.  I was hooked.



Unintentionally, certain sticks would call to me and I would find my arms laden with sticks of all kinds, all unique, all wanting to come home with me.  (I swear they jumped into my arms!)  I'm sure my neighbors must wonder if I'm collecting kindling or something, but whenever a passerby is brave enough to ask me, I reply cheerfully, "I'm a stick artist!"  That seems to suffice.  They nod in an understanding way and smile.  (Honestly, between you and me, I think artists can pretty much get by with just about anything.) 

Mid-winter I had gathered a fine collection of flood sticks and was inspired to create a wall sculpture that totally blew me away once it was completed.  I call it Flood Stick Alter I:  Defiant.  It reflects the types of stick sculptures I found along the riverbank that resembled (to me) an altar in a chapel.  (I selected alter for the title to reflect the changes that a flooded river bring along with it.)  

These altars were beautifully constructed by the velocity and current of the Poudre River and resting on the top were the lightest of the flotsam--small twisted sticks and chunks of heavily textured bark.  They reminded me of the implements one might find on an altar.


 The piece I created for my Music Room is called Defiant because of an added relic, an old scratched key I found on a walk with the word DEFIANT inscribed in it.  I decided that word seemed to reflect so much of the courage and perseverance of those affected most by the fall flooding.

 



I am busy working on a number of flood stick sculptures for an exhibit I will have in the Boardwalk Gallery in Windsor, Sept. 12-14, 2014, when what marvelous and powerful event occurred?  SPRING FLOODING OF THE CACHE LA POUDRE RIVER!!! 

And, so my story will continue...


(To see more art see:  www.tobybakerart.com)







    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hummingbirds -- The Flying Jewels of the Sky!

A female hummingbird waits patiently for the feeder. Since childhood I  have been captivated and fascinated with "the flying jewels...