Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Spring in Cape Cod

Corn Hill Beach in Truro
I returned recently from a delightful trip to Cape Cod and Boston where I indulged myself with time with friends, the Atlantic--and a second lilac season!

After the winter this area endured, it's no wonder that Colorado might be slightly ahead of Cape Cod when it comes to Mother Nature making a visit.  You already know my passion for lilacs--from the first blooms to the surprise snow--so indulge me when I take time today to share some of my trip photos and observations.  (Yup, there's lilacs involved.)

Compared to those who have been trekking out to the Cape since childhood, I am a relative newcomer to this place.  As a girl from the High Plains and Rocky Mountains, I am, no surprise, in LOVE with all the beaches one can discover all over this island!  (I call it that because the Cape Cod Canal actually separates it from the mainland...but, I may be wrong.)

So, make yourself a cuppa and enjoy a few minutes in Cape Cod...

Boardwalk leading to Lewis Bay
   
This beach is lovely with foamy gentle waves lapping and fine sand. 

If you imagine a map of Cape Cod, Lewis Bay is located on the south, facing Nantucket Sound, in about the middle of the island. 


Jingle Shells, a.k.a. Fairy Toenails



Cranberry bogs in May

  

Doors of The Belfry Inn & Bistro in Sandwich
Beautiful stained glass windows hint of The Belfry's former life as a Catholic Church.

In addition to a lovely dining room it features a stunning garden.
 


The former sanctuary is now a dining room




Blues, the color of glass, sky and water.






























Eye-candy displays in a Main Street gift shop in Sandwich.  (I asked if I could take photos as displays this good are truly art.)




A calming Sandwich Beach vista... 
 
Lavender Farms in Harwich
Ahh, the sweet perfume of French Lilacs
In Wellfleet I met this kind gentleman who explained to me, a Wyoming girl, that this fabulous rusty anchor is from a clipper ship who cut it loose rather than try to haul it up.
Welcome to Tower Hill Botanic Garden, Boylston, MA




















 
A whimsical place for lunch with girlfriends!
        

Colorful boats waiting for season's start.


Mayflower Beach in Dennis, Cape Cod Bay         




    
         
   
A perfect conclusion to my holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hummingbirds -- The Flying Jewels of the Sky!

A female hummingbird waits patiently for the feeder. Since childhood I  have been captivated and fascinated with "the flying jewels...